Originally Heather's postings for Poetry Thursday, now it's probably just the writing blog.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Poetry Thursday - talking walls

I've done a few writing workshops now, and every time I do, I find that I have the most vivid dreams, both while I'm there and after I leave. This week I'll let the walls of the Marconi Conference Center and the Four-Point Sheraton at Cherry Creek in Denver tell you about it. Happy Poetry Thursday!


Rooms Where Writers Sleep

This is a dream about road conditions, this is a dream of
the library. Other people love cowboys, love liberals, love
men who say “I want you to feel safe with me.”
The next morning in the dream, she was wearing
a bathing suit the color of goldfish, saying “He wouldn’t
want to hear something like this”, heading into the basement.
Someone else was there. I can see you leaning back
in your chair, black and white postcards in hand.

If the Denver Art Museum is so upside-down, why
isn’t it closed on Saturdays, open on Mondays?

I wanted bewildering Modern Art, I wanted the way
the mind string words together, writes the poetry for me
like it should in an industrialized nation. Out comes a pun
and we love it for the automated nature of it’s creation.
I love to linger and confess. We spend time together,
someone loves the word “swarm”, someone loves
shimmering, someone loves Sunday, someone loves
the terms of taxidermy. When we go home, we take with us
the overstuffed bodies of the poems we’ve hollowed out
and filled again with what we all love.

9 Comments:

Blogger gkgirl said...

i enjoyed this,
thoroughly...
the idea of it,
the hollowing out...
the vague sense that a dream
seems to make...

12:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh- to linger and confess.
I also enjoyed this. Maybe more than I enjoy conferences ;-)

12:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If the Denver Art Museum is
so upside-down, why isn’t it closed on Saturdays, open on Mondays?"..good question!!

Great post, kept me
reading : )

2:59 PM

 
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

the title alone had my mind turning turning turning.
then your words.
i want to crawl inside this poem and see more.

6:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will need to re-read this a few times more- because each time I read it I see a little more.

Lovely...

8:34 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

Thanks so much for all the nice comments everyone! They are very appreciated.

1:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice piece...I feel like I could read it a hundred times and discover somethgin more each time.

9:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

writes the poetry for me
like it should in an industrialized nation.


THAT... is a great line!

This piece jumps about like a dream, images strung together into a cohesive whole. Nice.

11:20 PM

 
Blogger Rob Kistner said...

illusive, but fun to chase. good read -- good write

--and so it goes

come visit
...Rob

4:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home